Zakir Hussain was born on 09 March 1951 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He has earned a lot of name in the Indian classical musician (tabla player), his country is known to the people of the world. He first composed the film music in Apocalypse Now in 2021, since then he has composed music in many films.
- Real Name Qureshi Allah Rakha Khan
- Nickname – Zakir Hussain
- Profession– Indian Classical Musician (Tabla Player)
- He was born on 09 March 1951 in Mumbai.
- Hometown – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Current address – San Francisco, California, USA
- Father’s Name – Allah Rakha (famous tabla player)
- Mother’s Name – Bawi Begum
- Brothers – Taufiq Qureshi and Fazal Qureshi
- Sister – Not known
- Religion – Islam
- Hobbies – Writing and playing musical instruments
- Marital Status – Married
- Wedding Year – 1978
- Wife’s Name Antonia Minnecola
- Son – not known
- Daughter – Anisa Qureshi and Isabella Qureshi
- Zakir Hussain charges Rs 6-8 lakh for a show
- Total Assets – 5-6 Cr.
Zakir Hussain’s teachings
Zakir Hussain was a talented student since childhood, he received his early education from St. Michael’s High School, Mahim, Maharashtra, later he studied at St. Xavier’s, Mumbai, Maharashtra and University of Washington, USA. He graduated from A.V. in Music and did a research (PhD). It is said about him that when he was just three years old, he started teaching Pakhwaj.
Zakir Hussain has done well with great musicians like Pandit Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Pandit ShivKumar Sharma, Pandit V.G. Jog, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Pandit Jasraj.
Zakir Hussain’s Career
In the early days of his career, Zakir Hussain used to visit America, where he used to perform more than 150 concerts throughout the year. His wife has also been a Kathak dancer and dance teacher, who has also been a manager for him for a long time. At one time, tabla player was seen as a disdain art in society, Zakir raised it so much that today people have started respecting this art. Therefore, he is credited for elevating the status of tabla players in the society.
Favorite things –
- Zakir loves Maharashtra cuisine, Punjabi cuisine and Continental cuisine.
- Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Rishi Kapoor are his favorite heroes.
- Rekha, Vidya Balan and Sharmila Tagore are his favorite actresses.
- Lata Mangeshkar, Pandit Jasraj and A.R. Rahman are his favorite musicians.
Awards and Honors –
- Awarded the Padma Shri in the year 1998
- In the year 2002, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan.
- Indo-American Award and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in the year 1990
- In 1999, he was awarded the National Endowment for the Arts by Hillary Clinton.
- In 2005, he was named the Old Dominion Fellow by the Humanities Council at Princeton University as a full-time professor in music.
- In the year 2006, he was awarded the Kalidas Samman.
- He was also awarded the 2009st Grammy Award in the year 51.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Zakir Hussain
- He is also a founding member of the World Music Supergroup.
- He has also been a visiting professor in the Department of Music at Stanford University.
- In 2016, Zakir was one of the greatest musicians when he was invited by President Obama to the All-Star Global Concert at the White House.
- He has acted tremendously in many documentary films such as “Zakir and His Friends”, “The Speeding Hand: Zakir Hussain”, “The Art of the Indian Drum”, in which he also co-starred in the film “Heat and Dust”.
- He is considered one of the great musicians from different parts of the world.
- In 1992, he also received the Grammy Award for Best World Music Album.