Sunil Dutt was born on 6 June 1930 in village Khurd, Jhelum, Punjab Province, British (present-day India). He first made his debut in the year 1955, his first film was “Railway Platform”, in the year 1973, he first acted in the Punjabi film “Man Jeete Jag Jeet” (1973). The film Yaadon (1964) was a film directed by him.
- Real Name Balraj Dutt
- Nickname – Sunil Dutt
- Born – 6 June 1930
- Profession – Actor, Director, Producer and Politician
- Place of Birth – Village Khurd, Jhelum, Punjab
- Hometown – Bandra, Mumbai, India (at his place of residence)
- Father’s Name – Diwan Raghunath Dutt
- Mother’s Name Kulwanti Devi Dutt
- Brother – Som Dutt (Actor)
- Sister – Raj Rani Bali
- Date of Death: – (at the age of 74 years) 25 May 2005
- Cause of death – Heart attack (heart attack)
- First debut film – Railway Platform (1955)
- Last Film – Munna Bhai MBBS (2003)
- First film as a producer – Mann Ka Meet (1968)
- First film as director – Yaadon (1964)
- Marriage – 11 March 1958
- Wife – Nargis, former Indian actress
- Son – Famous actor Sanjay Dutt
- Daughter – Priya Dutt and Namrata Dutt
- Total assets as per 2014 – Rs 20 crore
- Favorite Author – Arson Kashmiri
- Favorite Actress – Nargis
- Hobby in Food – Dum Chicken
Sunil Dutt’s Education
Sunil Dutt did his early education from Jai Hind College, Mumbai, India, later studied in this college, in the year 1954 he graduated in History from Jai Hind College Bombay (now Mumbai). Later, he entered the world of politics with the passage of time in the world of acting and joined the Congress party in the year 1984.
Sunil Dutt’s career and entry into politics
Sunil Dutt started his career with the film “Railway Platform” in the year 1955, later he acted in the Punjabi film Man Jeete Jag Jeet (1973). Over time, he also started working as a producer in films and made the film “Mann Ka Meet (1964).” The last film of his acting career was Munna Bhai MBBS (1964).
It is said that he also worked for a few days as an RJ in Radio Ceylon, the oldest radio station in South Asia. He rose to stardom after working as a co-actor with Nargis in the 1957 blockbuster “Mother India”.
Sunit Dutt Hit Movies – (Sunil Dutt’s Hit Films)
Geeta Mera Naam
Pran Jaye Par Vachan Na Jaye
Ek Hi Raasta
Munna Bhai MBBS
In 1984, he joined the Indian National Congress for the first time, the same year he was elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time from Mumbai North West. Later, a few years later, he reserved his Lok Sabha seat in the 1989 and 1991 general elections. He did not contest the Lok Sabha elections in 1996 and 1998 due to the case against his son Sanjay Dutt. Later, in the 1999, 2000 and 2004 elections, he retained his Lok Sabha seat. In 2004, he was also appointed as the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports in the Manmohan Singh government, his political journey as far.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sunil Dutt
- When Sunil Dutt was five years old, his father died.
- At the age of just 18, he witnessed Hindu-Muslim communal riots across the country.
- After a time, his entire family was resettled in a small village called Mandauli.
- After many years, he moved to Lucknow, where he spent a lot of time in the streets of Aminabad.
- Later he moved to Mumbai where he worked in the BEST Transport Department.
- According to a report, due to the fire on the set of Mother India, he saved Nargis from the fire, from here he fell in love with Nargis.
- He set a record by directing and acting in the 1964 film “Yaadon”, in which he also served as an actor.
- In 1982, the Government of Maharashtra appointed him as the ‘Sheriff of Mumbai’ for one year.
- He was also awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- He was a great actor and politician of India.