Om Prakash Puri was born on 18 October 1950 in Ambala, Haryana, India, he first acted in the Marathi film – Gheshiram Kotwal (1972), after which he worked as an actor in the film Twilight (1977), in Bollywood. He also worked as an actor in a Hollywood film City of Joy (1992). (Om Puri wiki, Family, Age, Height, Net Worth, Biopic, Wife, Film & More) In the TV world, Om Puri worked in The Jewel in the Crown (1984, English TV series).
Om Puri Family – Om Puri’s father’s name is Tek Chand Puri (worked in the Indian Army and Indian Railways) and mother’s name is Tara Devi. Ved Prakash and Vedvati are his siblings. Seema Kapoor (divorced in 1991) was his wife, another wife Nandita Puri (journalist, who started living separately in 2013) has a son named Ishaan.
- Name – Om Prakash Puri
- Nickname – Sikandar of Films
- Profession – Actor
- Length – 170 cm
- Born – 18 October 1950
- Place of Birth – Ambala, Haryana, India
- Zodiac Sign – Libra
- Nationality – Indian
- Hometown – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- First Debut Film – Marathi (Actor) – Gheshiram Kotwal (1972)
- First Bollywood Film – Twilight (1977)
- Om Puri’s first Hollywood movie – City of Joy (1992)
- Tv – The Jewel in the Crown (1984, English TV series)
- Death – 6 January 2017 (Andheri, Mumbai, India)
- Cause of death – Heart attack (death under mysterious circumstances)
- Hobbies / Interests – Traveling
- Total Assets – $20 million
- Om Puri loved brain curry in food.
- Alec Guinness, Amitabh Bachchan, Naseeruddin Shah, Pankaj Kapoor and Kamal Haasan are his favorite heroes.
- Shabana Azmi, Smita Patil, Nutan, Madhuri Dixit, Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukerji and Kajol were his favorite actresses.
- Favorite Hollywood Film – Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
- Bollywood- Naigan (1987), Pushpak (1987), Dev (2004)
Om Puri’s Education –
Actor Om Puri had his early education from Government High School, Sanaur, later graduated (acting) from The Film and Television Institute of India, Pune and National School of Drama, New Delhi.
Om Puri’s film journey
Om Puri started his career with a Marathi film Gheshiram Kotwal (1972), after which he worked in more than one film in Bollywood, later he also acted in Hollywood films. Om Puri also worked in the tv world.
Twilight (1977) was his first Bollywood movie. Om Puri was a good artist, as long as he was in the world of cinema, he won the hearts of people with his acting.
Om Puri Hit Movies
Buddha Mar Gaya
The Ghazi Deadly Part
Mere Baap Pehale Aap
Singh Is King
East Is East
City of Joy
Charlie Wilson’s War
Om Puri was awarded the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for his role as Lahanya Bhikhu in the film “Aakrosh” (1980). Om Puri also received the National Film Award for the film Aarohan (1982) and Ardh Satya (1983).
Some Lesser Known Facts About Om Puri
- There was a time when Om Puri wanted to join the Army, later he could not do so after being interested in films.
- During his college days, Om Puri used to work as an assistant in a laboratory where he used to get Rs 112 a month as salary.
- It was during his college days that Om Puri developed an interest in theatre acting and later started participating in theatre drama competitions.
- It is said that Mr. Kapoor, a deputy commissioner of his theatre group, also got him a government job.
- While living at the National School of Drama, New Delhi, he became friends with Naseeruddin Shah.
- It was because of Naseeruddin Shah that Om Puri became a non-vegetarian.
- Om Puri had lent his voice for Baghira in the Hindi version of the film “The Jungle Book”.
- Om Puri was last seen in “Ghayal Once Together” (2016) alongside Sunny Deol.
- Om Puri worked in more than 15 languages.