Meena Kumari was born on 1 August 1932 in Dadar East Bombay, British India (present – Mumbai). Also known as tragedy queen, she started her career in the year 1939 with the film Farzande, she was a very popular actress Meenaji, she also worked as a playback singer in the film – Sister (1945). (Meena Kumari age, family, husband, film, songs, death, real name, children, daughter, biography, bio, images, pics & more)
Meena Kumari’s family – Her father’s name was Ali Baksh, who was a famous theater artist and musician, her mother’s name was Prabhavati Devi alias Iqbal Bano, who was also a famous dancer, she also has two sisters named Khurshid Bano (elder), Madhu (younger), Kamal Amrohi (director) was her husband. They were married on February 14, 1952, they had no children. (Meena Kumari Interesting Facts)
- Real Name – Mehjabeen Bano
- Nickname – Meena Kumari, Tragedy Queen
- He was born on August 1, 1932 in Mumbai.
- Hometown – Dadar East, Bombay
- First debut film – Farzande (1939)
- Debut as playback singer – film Sister (1945)
- In the year 1966, filmfare award for best actress for the film Kajal
- Hobbies – Dancing and Singing
- Favorite Author – Gulzar
- Favorite Actor – Dharmendra
- Date of Death – 31 March 1972
- meena kumari age at death – 38 Years
- Cause of death – Liver cirrhosis
Meena Kumari Education – Information about Meena Kumari’s education is not known.
Meena Kumari’s film career
Meena Kumari started her film career with the film “Farzande” in the year 1939, later she worked in many superhit films and became a superstar actress, her popularity was very high at that time, unfortunately she died at the young age of 40 due to liver cirrhosis. Meena Kumari acted in hundreds of films in her film career.
Meena Kumari acted in many films with famous Bollywood actors (Dilip Kumar, Rajendra Kumar, Raj Kumar, Ashok Kumar, Dev Anand, Dharmendra and Bharat Bhushan).
Meena Kumari Movies –
Zindagi aur Khwab
Pyaar Ka Saagar
Char Dil Char Raahein
Gomti ke Kinare
Bhabhi Ki Chudiyan
Akeli Mat Jaiyo
Chirag Kahan Roshni Kahan
Dil ek Mandir
Baharon Ki Manzil
Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam
Dil Apna aur Preet Parai
Earlier her name was Mazhabi Bano, later the director of the film Farzand-e-Watan, Vijay Bhatt named her Baby Meena, after some time people started calling her meena Kumari, due to which she was named Meena Kumari.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Meena Kumari ( Meena Kumari )
- Meena Kumari’s maternal grandmother is said to be the daughter of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore’s younger brother.
- Due to poor financial condition of the family, Meena Kumari had to work as a child artist at the age of four.
- Filmmaker Vijay Bhatt first brought him to the world of cinema.
- Baby Meena became Meena Kumari at the age of 1946 from the 14 film “Children’s Game”.
- Many of his films were based on mythology. (Hanuman Patal Vijay, Veer Ghatotkacha and Shri Ganesh Mahima)
- Meena Kumari gained a lot of popularity with the role of Gauri in the 1952 film “Baiju Bawra”.
- In the 1960s, meena kumari and Pradeep Kumar were considered to be the most superhit pair.
- She was called the “Tragedy Queen” because of the many difficulties and sorrows she suffered in life.
- In the year 1972, Meena played the lead role in Kamal Amrohi’s film “Pakeezah”.
- Three weeks after the release of the film Pakeezah, Meena was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, due to which she died on March 31, 1972 at the age of just 39.